Saturday, September 21, 2013

The fun in moving.....

Over the past month that Josh had been gone to Roosevelt, I had been working on packing up the house.  What a project!  You don't realize how much "stuff" you have, until you have to pack it up and move.  As I packed up the boxes, I tried my best to either give things away, or take them to the D.I.  Even after my efforts, we still have too much stuff!  We rented the largest UHaul they have, which is a 26 foot truck.  I thought that this would be plenty big.  We do have a house full of stuff, plus a basement, garage, and shed.  I figured that we probably don't have that much stuff compared to people that have kids, so this size of truck should be plenty of space.  I was wrong.  On Sunday, September 15, we asked a few family and friends to help us move.  We filled the entire truck up, and then still had about half of our garage left, with odds and ends.  So on Sunday, we took the first load of stuff to our storage unit in Roosevelt.  The drive to Roosevelt went really well.  When we got to our storage unit, that was a different story.  It had rained quite a bit in the past week.  There aren't any paved roads at the storage unit.  The "roads" are all gravel and dirt.  Josh was driving the UHaul.  He did his best to avoid the standing water and the obvious areas where other people had probably gotten stuck at already.  Even though I think that Josh did the best he could, he got stuck too!  We were about 100 feet away from our storage unit, and stuck in the mud!  So close, yet so far away.  There was no way we were going to attempt to carry everything off of the UHaul and to the storage unit.
Luckily, the friends that we are staying with for a little bit, knew someone with a heavy duty truck to pull us out.  He did it no problem, but then we got stuck again.  This whole area was pure mud, and no way to avoid getting stuck.  He pulled us out again, and this time we made it to the storage unit.  An hour later, and we had the whole thing unloaded.  Thank heavens!  
We went back to our house in Magna, again on Wednesday, and got a 10 foot UHaul.  We were able to get the rest of our stuff in this trip.  Even though pretty much our entire house is sitting in a storage unit, I'm so happy this part of moving is over.  Moving is no fun, and I really thought we were done moving when we bought our house a year and a half ago.  I have been graduated from high school for 14 years, and I've moved 11 times.  That is way too much for one person!  For a few months we're staying with friends until we figure out where we want to live.  Then we'll be moving again.  Lucky us!

No comments:

Post a Comment